Forking baazar to add Python 3.x support

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Mar 7 11:53:45 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-03-06 at 23:08 -0800, Chris Hecker wrote:
> Yeah, bzr has enough troubles with active support already, suddenly
> breaking everything seems like a terrible idea.

It turn out that if you ignore Pythons 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2, and anything
before Python 2.6 writing a single code base that is 2.7 and 3.3+
compliant is nowhere near as much of a problem as many fear. It is
effort, it is not trivial, but it is doable.

We are part way through the pain with SCons just now. Current state is
that it remains working with 2.7, and sort of works in 3.3 but not
usably so at present.

Thus you do not need a revolutionary activity.

However I suspect the lack of development resource for Bazaar is the
same as the lack of development resource for SCons, which is the main
problem.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk