Problem exporting to git

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Mon Mar 3 22:35:03 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 08:33:39AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> writes:
> > > into git.
> > >
> > > When we talk about "metadata" in this respect - is it only renames?
> > > Because that should not be a problem - considering that git does not
> > > track renames at all?
> > The main ones are renames, empty directories, revision properties (bug fix
> > information, authors beyond the first author).
>
> Do we lose GPG signatures on revisions?
GPG signatures as well. That's pretty an impossible problem to solve
though, considering GPG signatures rely on a specific representation
of revisions.

> Do we lose branch history of merges?
No, the revision graph stays the same when exporting to Git. You will lose the
'branch' nicks in revisions, though I personally never found those particularly
useful.

Cheers,

Jelmer