Bzr maintenance.

Richard Wilbur richard.wilbur at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 16:01:00 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 7:02 AM, Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:
> Richard Wilbur, I hereby appoint you as the new maintainer of GNU Bzr.
>
> Being a package maintainer is a relationship between you personally
> and the GNU Project.  The maintainer or maintainers are the ones
> who take the overall responsibility for the work done on the package.
> If you recruit others to contribute to the package (and some packages
> have hundreds of contributors), they work under your supervision.
[...]

I want to thank John Meinel for his efforts as the most recent
maintainer.  bzr 2.5 was a good milestone and the contributions he
made to 2.6 made it that much more useful.

I also want to thank Vincent Ladueil for releasing all the accumulated
goodness in 2.6.

I'm going to try and address my backlog of incomplete review requests
on merge proposals.  If you've proposed a merge and it seems to have
fallen on deaf ears, there is hope that it will hit the trunk, yet!
Ping me if you don't see any activity on your proposal this week.

I have been too busy over the holidays to do much with bzr but now I'm
working on establishing a new routine.

Above all, I will be interested in the contributions of the bzr
community (to my knowledge all volunteer now).  I am interested in
contributing to the bzr project above the level of
my current expertise. I don't yet have the architectural grasp of bzr
internals that John Arbash Meinel, Martin Pool, and Robert Collins
display.  My policy is to learn as much as I can as I go.

Since 2006, bzr has been one of my excuses for learning python better
and the first public project on which I worked that uses Test-Driven
Development.  I have been trying to fix bugs and participate in the
development process through reviewing code and merging approved
branches.

I am thankful to John Arbash Meinel and Martin Pool for encouraging me
to get involved.  My level of involvement has waxed and waned through
the years as my time and priorities changed.

Lately, I have been involved in bzr-dbus and learning the in's and
out's of managing a project on Launchpad with the help of Robert Park,
Andrew Starr-Bochicchio, and Martin Packman.  (I have much more to
learn!)

I am interested in keeping the bzr project maintained and willing to
spend time and effort towards that goal.  I enjoy using the libré
software bzr tool for distributed version control.

Sincerely,

Richard Wilbur