No WorkingTree exists after branching

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Mon Oct 28 10:04:11 UTC 2013

    > On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu.org> wrote:
    >>> Maybe the culprit isn't the plugins.  I spent many hours redoing the
    >>> original procedure several times without changing the
    >>> Bazaar/Python/OS version.  Surprisingly, sometimes there's a
    >>> WorkingTree, sometimes not.  Looks like a heisenbug...  Anyway, I
    >>> found that if there is no WorkingTree, the first ‘bzr branch’
    >>> operation in a new repository will take more time.
    >>
    >> Did you try comparing the .bzr.log records for the successful and
    >> unsuccessful operations?

    > Yes, but I saw nothing abnormal.

You can check 'bzr config debug_flags' and add 'hpss' if it's not there
to enable more debug output related to the smart server (which bzr+ssh
uses).

    >> Also, did you try with --no-plugins several times, and if so, are you
    >> saying that this, too, sometimes creates a tree and sometimes doesn't?
    >> (If --no-plugins is consistent, then you could have an inconsistently
    >> buggy plugin.)

    > No.  The first ‘bzr branch’ takes too much time (2-5 hours on my
    > machine),

Don't remove the repository, that's where the revisions you spend 2-5
hours to acquire are stored.

Instead, use 'bzr info' in the shared repository to check that it's
properly configured before 'bzr branch' and after.

I.e.:

$ bzr init-repo emacs
Shared repository with trees (format: 2a)
Location:
  shared repository: emacs
vila:~/tmp :) $ cd emacs
vila:~/tmp/emacs :) $ bzr info
Shared repository with trees (format: 2a)
Location:
  shared repository: .

Above, bzr said twice that the repository will create a working tree
("with trees").

'bzr' checks for a file named 'no-working-trees' in '.bzr/repository' to
decide whether or not working trees are created so either this file is
created in your repo or bzr is looking at a wrong place. But it *has* to
find such a file somewhere to *not* create a wt.

     Vincent