"use case where there is no perceived value to having atomic multi-file commits"

Bulgrien, Kevin Kevin.Bulgrien at GDSATCOM.com
Mon Sep 9 22:16:36 UTC 2013

> I'm curious about a use case where there is no perceived value to having atomic multi-file commits.

Why is it that this type of discussion has to focus on absolutes?

Is it really that there is no perceived value to having atomic multi-file commits, or is it a practical decision that balances many conceivable competing needs with any one potential requirement?

Why would one assume that atomic multi-file commits are so important as to obviate the use of another similar technology that has benefits, even if it is so trivial as to be that one is already familiar with a tool that does not support it, when the developer pool is small (1 user... a few co-located users...).  I daresay you won't get many helpful responses because it is so clear that freedom means choice, and that there is no freedom if there is no acceptable reason to view acceptability through whatever glasses one chooses to wear at any given point in time.  I have used another VCS without atomic multi-file commits for many years and have not encountered any difficulties related to that.  In fact, unlike other vociferous individuals, I rather appreciate having individual file revisions, and find it rather close-minded for anyone to try to tell me that I am an idiot for feeling that way.

If my team is averse to learning new tools, and if they are productive using old technology, and are not wasting measurable time using it, why would I force my organization to pay time, money, schedule etc. to implement a potentially superior technology?  Not only that, but why should I do that every time something new and shiny comes out?  It's not that hard to justify type of reasoning out, is it?  There are millions of examples where the "ideal" is sacrificed for practicality.  For example, I drive a '97 model vehicle.  You can call me any number of things, but you have no right to say I do not have the freedom to weigh various benefits and make a choice to sacrifice one thing for another any more than I have the right to force on you my choices.  Frankly, I like not having a car payment a lot more than I want a new car.  It's just that simple.

I daresay that any reasonable individual will acknowledge that there is some real value for atomic multi-file commit support, but that sometimes there are any number of sensible reasons to not insist that this is a base-line requirement.

Some variant of a response like this probably adequately addresses almost any flame war, but warriors are rarely noted for their desire to value reason (an yes, I know that's an over-statement that is quite unfair to a lot of people, but is said to make a point).

---
Kevin R. Bulgrien
Design and Development Engineer

This message and/or attachments may include information subject to GD Corporate Policy 07-105 and is intended to be accessed only by authorized personnel of General Dynamics and approved service providers.  Use, storage and transmission are governed by General Dynamics and its policies. Contractual restrictions apply to third parties.  Recipients should refer to the policies or contract to determine proper handling.  Unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original message.