Forging a replacement blade (was: CVS "just works?")

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Sat Sep 7 09:10:20 UTC 2013

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> writes:

> But you shouldn't be surprised that a large fraction of the open
> source community loves git. One good reason is that git *does* open up
> its core functionality to the user: we like our tools sharp and we
> hone them ourselves.

You seem to be saying Bazaar plug-ins are not made by Bazaar users. Is
that right?

> Sure, Bazaar is open source, but I have neither the skills nor the
> equipment to forge a replacement blade starting from iron ore. With
> git, it's more at the level of whetstone and sharpening oil, and maybe
> a bench vise.

You've lost me with the “replacement blade” analogy. What is the
comparable task being attempted by the user? What does Bazaar require,
what does Git require?

--
 \       “I am amazed, O Wall, that you have not collapsed and fallen, |
  `\            since you must bear the tedious stupidities of so many |