a VCS for people who don't care about VCSs (was RE: Bazaar book from Packt)

Joshua Judson Rosen jrosen at harvestai.com
Sat Sep 7 03:01:52 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-06 19:17, JP Vossen wrote:
> Kevin Bulgrien wrote:
>>
>> I've had a long-term desire to incorporate a newer tool
>> with benefits of a modern VCS.  Until Bazaar caught my interest,
>> other VCS seemed to overly complicate a transition away from the
>> simplicity of CVS or introduce problems as, or more, gnarly than CVS'
>> failings.  Our developers don't want to have to be VCS wizards.
>
> I totally agree, which is why I find everyone else's love of git so confusing.
> I do not want to have to know as much about the guts of the tool as git requires
> in order to not shoot myself in the foot, and I *certainly* don't want to have
> to try to explain all of it to other folks who don't understand or want to use a
> VCS in the first place!

One of my favourite lines, from <http://princessleia.com/plug/bzr-preso.odp‎>:

	"Bazaar Version Control System [is] a DVCS for Rocket Scientists.
	 Because rocket scientists have better things to do
	 than learn how to use a VCS."

I'm not really a rocket scientist myself, but I did spend a few years
working with some, and that description was right on :)

--
"'tis an ill wind that blows no minds."