bzr-email fails if committer has non-ascii gecos

Glenn Morris rgm at gnu.org
Tue Aug 27 22:32:10 UTC 2013

Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

> osutils.get_user_encoding() gets the locale to use from your
> environment. What does 'locale' output for you? E.g. for me it says:

I think the question is, what does it return for a user when they carry
out a bzr+ssh command on Savannah, and I don't know any way to check
that (users are restricted to only being able to run bzr, nothing else).

The system default seems to be:

LANG=
LANGUAGE=
LC_ALL=
LC_everything-else=POSIX

Maybe I can just add

$ENV{'LANG'} = 'en_US.UTF-8'

to the wrapper script that spawns the bzr process when a user accesses
the system via bzr+ssh?

I don't want to mess anything up though. It's a bit odd that everything
other than bzr-email seems to work fine as-is...