Bazaar and Debian

David Ingamells david.ingamells at mapscape.eu
Tue Jun 25 09:22:18 UTC 2013

On 25/06/13 10:39, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Did you deliberately drop rms?  He probably does not read this list,
> you know.
No, I just clicked on the option "reply list" provided my Thunderbird
where normally "reply all" appears expecting it to do the right thing.

> David Ingamells writes:
>
>   > GNU is no more an operating system ... GNU is an organisation.
>
> Surely it doesn't hurt to use the acronym "GNU" as those who do
> affiliate with it do.
>
> "GNU" is an operating system (although currently most widely used
> combined with a 3rd-party kernel, as you pointed out).

AFAIK there is not yet any distribution that uses _only_ GNU - any there
are many people who consider that the
(extended) kernel is the most significant part - and the most difficult
part - of any OS.
> The "GNU
> Project" is an organization, but not formally incorporated AFAIK -- it
> doesn't handle money or employ people (for legal services or
> development).  The "FSF" is a formally incorporated organization with
> several goals related to promoting software freedom, one of which is
> supporting the GNU Project with legal services and computing
> infrastructure (but that support is not restricted to the GNU
> Project).  Occasionally it provides development resources as well (or
> at least it has done so in the past), but it prefers to rely on
> volunteers for this purpose.
>
> I do think Richard made a mistake by focusing on the "GNU/Linux"
> controversy here.  The issue AFAICS is that the GNU Project doesn't
> manage, maintain, or directly support individual GNU projects.
> Rather, project leadership and development effort is expected to come
> from within each individual GNU project.  (In 1985, this was a hope;
> in 2013, it's an empirical fact that it works.)
sort of works - but many important projects are suffering from lack of
(quality) resources who can commit
sufficient time, as this thread is proving.

--

*David Ingamells * Test Architect *Mapscape *

Henri Wijnmalenweg 5b  | 5657 EP Eindhoven  | The Netherlands
Phone +31 (0)40 7113571  | Fax +31 (0)40 7113599
www.mapscape.eu <http://www.mapscape.eu/>

Mapscape B.V. is ISO9001:2008 certified.
This e-mail and any attachment may contain corporate proprietary
information and may only be read, copied and used by the intended
recipient. If you have received it by mistake, please notify us
immediately by reply e-mail and delete this e-mail and its attachments
from your system. We believe but do not warrant that this message and
any attachments are virus free.
Mapscape B.V. is registered at the Kamer van Koophandel Oost-Brabant
located in Eindhoven, The Netherlands, number 17210210.