share repo branches backup and multi-push

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu May 23 01:30:13 UTC 2013

Chris Hecker writes:

 > Hmm, now that I'm actually trying, I can't get any information out of
 > just a plain old raw shared repository .bzr without any branches under
 > it.  This implies you can log one to see the revisions, but that doesn't
 > appear to be true if there are no branch directories under it:
 >
 > http://stackoverflow.com/a/7271429
 >
 > The data is obviously there, but I don't know how to get to it.

I think the .bzr directories in the branch directories are what keeps
the branch configurations.  It's possible to tell bzr not to check out
source trees in the branch directories, but you need the metadata in
all those branch .bzrs.

If you know the format of .bzr for a branch it's probably not life-
threateningly tedious to recreate enough of the information to extract
checkouts from the repo, but I would just convert your repo to
--no-trees format.  The easy way that might take a few hours is to do
an init-repo --no-trees in a new location, and start pushing all the
branches to it, but it's probably possible to do this in-place.