use external diff tool in the ignore line-endings mode for merge

Vincent Ladeuil vila+bzr at canonical.com
Wed Dec 12 11:20:32 UTC 2012

    >> Have what problem, with what? I meant to say bzr's rename support is

    > The problem of needing rename tracking (I’ve not even seen
    > a lot of renames in general).

That's exactly the point: until you get a feature properly supported you
tend to work around its lack. If renames cause problems, people avoid
them, that's probably why you don't see them, not because they aren't
needed.

Examples from the past (some still cause issues today though ;) include:
- space in filenames,
- accented characters in file names,
- Unicode support in urls (roman characters mean nothing to Chinese and
  Japanese people just to name some obvious ones).

Renames and especially merges across renames have free devs to care
about choosing good names from day one. Java (AIUI), force a
relationship between the file name and some of its content, not renaming
in this context is even more frustrating than with other languages.

  Vincent