Bzr development stopped

Nicholas Allen nick.allen at onlinehome.de
Tue Nov 27 17:09:11 UTC 2012

> I don't think you understand what Stephen suggested.
>
> What he was talking about was a storage-level strategy for reliably
> representing renames in git store.
>
> He implied that this strategy could be implemented in a way that is
> transparent to the user, both at commit time and when inspecting the
> history with the proper high level tools. The separate commit for pure
> rename would only visible when examining the raw history DAG.
I understood that but I think it's like trying to push a square through
a round hole. Git hasn't been designed to support this and adding this
extra complexity on top makes no sense from an implementation point of
view. It's more complicated than just adding proper rename support to
git and recording that directly I would imagine. But then I'm not
familiar with git's internals but from the description this sounds like
a horrible implementation for recording file renames.

Nick