Bzr development stopped

Roland Mas lolando at debian.org
Tue Nov 27 08:37:22 UTC 2012

Stephen J. Turnbull, 2012-11-27 11:56:22 +0900 :

[...]

> The point of using the git storage system surely isn't storage
> volume.

Agreed :-)

[...]

> As far as tracking renames goes, there's a very simple strategy for
> guaranteeing 100% accuracy for git's inference algorithm: always
> rename (or copy, for that matter) in a separate commit, ensuring that
> git can do the matching at the "tree object" level by object hash.

  Except it doesn't really work 100%.  If you rename foo to bar in a
branch (even in a separate commit) then merges from master where foo was
modified will initially affect the new name (bar), so you're fine.
However, as soon as you reintroduce an unrelated foo in your branch,
merges from master will try to merge the changes into the new foo
instead of bar, with conflicts as the obvious results.

[...]

> I don't claim this is actually satisfactory to people who worry about
> git's technology, only that it should be possible to achieve the
> expressed goals.  Of course it's not at all pretty, and that matters.
> But I think worries that use of the git storage backend will cost all
> the nice features that Bazaar has achieved are misplaced.

  I don't think that worrying is misplaced; it may be unjustified, but I
claim my right to worry until I'm sure I shouldn't :-)  Also, as shown
above, I believe at least some of the nice features of Bazaar would be
lost.  Probably not all, but at least one.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

All tribal myths are true, for a given value of 'true'.
  -- in The Last Continent (Terry Pratchett)