BZR 2.1.2 + SVN 1.7.7 + etckeeper on Debian Squeeze

JP Vossen jp at jpsdomain.org
Tue Nov 6 22:18:03 UTC 2012

On 11/05/2012 01:28 AM, Václav Zeman wrote:
> On 11/03/2012 04:55 AM, JP Vossen wrote:
>> My reason for having both .svn and .bzr is simple--in-line SVN + BZR. As
>> detailed in https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/bazaar/2012q2/074983.html
>> I'm already doing that with great success with CVS + BZR, but we're soon
>> switching to SVN despite my strong push for BZR.
>>
>> SVN is OK (anything is better than CVS), but I prefer to use BZR, so
>> I'll use both.  SVN will be read-write to the public/production repo and
>> my actual daily work will be in BZR.  Thus I guess my solution will be
>> to remove or disable the bzr-svn plugin.

> I am not sure that I fully understand your situation but why cannot you
> use BZR only, that is why cannot you use BZR as a Subversion repository
> client? IIRC, it requires you to be careful about what you push upstream
> into SVN repo but it is doable.

Well, the major problem is that it's so blindingly obvious that I didn't
think of it!  I am used to my current work-flow using CVS+BZR (above
URL), and CVS is obviously not an SVN client too, so I *can't* do it
that way.  Thus when we migrate to SVN, I was thinking to :%s/CVS/SVN/i
without actually thinking about it.  Duh...

Right now my CVS and BZR checkouts are co-located in the same dir.
That's why I asked my original question, how to I choose which BZR will
use.  So a better question would have been, how do I keep trunk in SVN
but work on branches in BZR?

And that seems to answer itself.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I
should be able to do to:

1) Checkout from SVN using bzr to dirA
2) 'bzr branch' from dirA to dirB
3) cd dirB, hack, hack, hack, bzr ci, hack, hack, hack, bzr ci
4) cd dirA 'bzr merge dirB'
5) 'bzr ci' # to publish to SVN

Right?  (Please forgive the lame question, remember I'm coming from CVS
and SVN with no usable work-flow features. :)

All of that said, simply removing 'bzr-svn' "solves" my problem and I
can keep the co-located .bzr and .svn and it works.  That's what I'll do
for the short-term, as I have a lot of other things to re-org and tweak
once I get out of CVS.  But for the long term, I need to fix my work-flow...

Thanks,
JP