BZR 2.1.2 + SVN 1.7.7 + etckeeper on Debian Squeeze

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Fri Nov 2 23:33:17 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-11-02 at 16:42 -0400, JP Vossen wrote:
> On 11/02/2012 11:41 AM, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
>
> [...]
> > That file gets loaded because bzr loads all available formats before
> > probing in older versions. It shouldn't necessarily mean that bzr
> > prefers .svn/ over .bzr/. Note that newer versions of bzr should no
> > longer load all formats just when probing.
>
> Got you, makes sense.
>
> But...  If I do have both .svn and .bzr, how do I choose which 'bzr'
> will use?  (I *am* going to have that situation at $WORK soon, though
> that'll be on Windows (yuck).)
There is no way to pick one over the other; there isn't a particular
reason to have both version the same directory - that's what bzr-svn is
designed to handle.

> > The bug you mentioned:
> >
> > bzr: ERROR: exceptions.NameError: global name
> > 'ERR_WC_UNSUPPORTED_FORMAT' is not defined
> >
> > is fixed in newer versions of subvertpy/bzr-svn.
>
> Duh, I never even thought of that.  'aptitude update && aptitude
> full-upgrade' have me spoiled and I don't think of terms of new versions
> much anymore.  New versions Just Happen now and then...
>
> That said, http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/DistroDownloads#Debian still
> talks about Lenny (Squeeze is current & Wheezy is in testing), and has
> at least this broken link: http://backports.org/debian/pool/main/b/bzr.
>
> I do not see any BZR in
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=bzr&searchon=names&section=all&suite=squeeze-backports
> and as noted Squeeze is at 2.1.2
> (http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=bzr)...
>
> Is there a good, .deb solution for Squeeze.  It's not jumping out at me...
>
> Related,
> http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/DistroDownloads#Ubuntu_and_derivatives
> claims "stable (2.3.x)"...
Yeah, there aren't any backports for squeeze as far as I know.
Subversion 1.7 has some API changes, and I suspect that breaks
subvertpy/bzr-svn if you use it from backports.

Cheers,

Jelmer