Bzr development stopped

Vincent Ladeuil vila+bzr at canonical.com
Fri Sep 14 07:59:30 UTC 2012

    > On 12-Sep-2012, at 11:29 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
    >> Writing test cases, as he points out, are one of the
    >> areas with a learning curve.

    > FWIW: the run_bzr and run_script style of tests are really easy to
    > set up.  And I'm a total Python n00b. For example:

    >     def test_tiplog_limit(self):
    >         tree = self.make_branch_and_tree('.')
    >         tree.commit('message1', rev_id='rev-id')

    >         self.run_script("""
    > $ bzr tiplog --date-format=X --limit 1 --show-ids
    > X tip:0 rev-id jrandom at example.com [commit] message1
    > """)

Thanks for the reminder ;)

The purpose of test scripts was indeed to allow capturing shell scripts.
The feature provides a very limited (but good enough) shell script
subset but so far all bug reports giving a reproducing recipe from
scratch (as in not requiring an existing bzr branch) were trivial to
convert.

They are *not* unit tests but give developers a starting point from
which the unit tests can be written with relative ease. As a dev, I've
been able to fix several bugs (some trivial, some really tricky) far
more quickly because of that and I'm grateful for the additional effort
the bug reporters put into that.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/715058
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/788000
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/660935
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/638451
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/646961

are a few significant examples I could find with a quick search.

         Vincent