Bzr development stopped WAS Re: Branching from just a part of

Talden talden at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 01:51:38 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 2:35 AM, Matthew D. Fuller
<fullermd at over-yonder.net> wrote:
> As Stefan said elsewhere in the thread,
>
>    > I'm beginning to feel a bit like in the bad CVS days where you
>    > just had to get used to circumventing its limitations, for lack
>    > of actual development.
>
> which is really a place I don't want to return to with a tool I use
> all day.  I can't lay any sort of claim to have surveyed the entire
> VCS space, but I have fiddled with the major ones.  And compared to
> bzr, they were all rather unpleasant, which is why I'm here.
>
> The choice between a tool that's pleasant and has a good chance of
> eventually growing the pieces I miss, and one that's unpleasant and
> has a good chance of eventually growing the pieces I miss, is very
> very easy.  But when the pleasant choice winds up with a very poor
> chance of eventually growing those pieces, it's a much harder position
> to stake out.
>
> As the project stands, a bzr with no ongoing Canonical push for active
> development is a bzr with no active development.  And that's just
> another way of saying "hey, if this doesn't isn't already Practically
> Perfect In Every Way for you and your problem space, better git to
> love git, buddy".  That's...   not the future I would have chosen for
> myself   :(

What he said.

Bazaar was approaching what I wanted from a DVCS and headed in the
right direction and I don't feel that way about either of Mercurial or
Git.

But it hasn't reached where it needed to be (in terms of function,
usage, packaging and adoption/integration) for me to adopt in the
major places I need a VCS solution and it's such a shame to see it
lose some of the momentum it's had...

--
Talden