Bzr development stopped

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Sep 11 08:08:38 UTC 2012

Mark A. Flacy writes:

 > Linus spent a huge amount of time on his version control system
 > after the one he was using was pulled out from under his feet.
 >
 > I should think that anyone who has bzr pulled out from under them
 > will do something similar.

Surely not, not for an appropriate definition of "similar" in this
context.  This subthread is about whether the Canonical contributor
agreement is massively inhibiting contribution to Bazaar.  In this
context, "doing similarly to Linus" implies "writing your own VCS", not
"spending a couple weeks learning Mercurial, importing your bzr repos,
and teaching your colleagues about using hg."

All I've said is that people who haven't contributed to Bazaar (by
comparison with a product like git) are likely to be people who prefer
not futzing with their VCS, either in operation or by contributing to
its development.  Therefore I see no reason to try to explain the
current lull in development of Bazaar by appealing to the inhibiting
effect of Canonical's contributor agreement.  If you have evidence
against either of those claims, I'd genuinely like to see it.

Steve