Bzr development stopped

David Ingamells david.ingamells at mapscape.eu
Mon Sep 10 12:18:42 UTC 2012

On 03/09/12 13:56, Ben Finney wrote:
> I don't think you will, though. Bazaar, while it is the preferred VCS
> >of some highly skilled hackers, is basically a product aimed at people
> >who either can't or won't put thought into their VCS. They'd rather
> >switch than hack
As a [long term] user of bzr I resent your suggestion that I'm either
lazy or stupid. When my team chose bzr we put a lot of thought into the
choice and how best to use it to support the development processes we
consider essential.

Where there are short-falls that I am aware of they are in areas that
are very core to bzr (e.g. 718723:
fetch from merge directive to stacked branch unable to fill in chk
pages) and not repairable without first spending more time learning
python and the design of bzr than I have available. I and many other
users of bzr are also users of probably thousands of other projects in
the various open source code stacks that make up ubuntu (everything from
the kernel through many libraries up to office libre and the desktops).
If I were to spend my time making improvements or fixes for all the
issues I encountered during that use I would end up in a never-ending
and ever-increasing spiral and would never get any work done.

I, like many others, I guess, would love to have the time and freedom to
contribute to all those projects, but I have a wife and kids to house
and feed.

--

*David*