How to fix "dangling branch reference"

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Aug 8 09:04:46 UTC 2012

On 8/8/2012 10:54 AM, Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> Carlos Mundi пишет:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Now that I'm a little wiser (thanks to Max) I will re-ask my
>> question.
>>
>> I have a heavyweight checkout of a branch.  The branch has "gone
>> away."  I would like to 'unbind' my checkout so that I can 'push'
>> it to a new branch.  But 'bzr unbind'  fails with... wait for
>> it.... a "dangling branch reference" message. So how can I sever
>> this dangling branch reference so that my checkout acts like a
>> regular branch?  A bzr built-in command would be great, but I am
>> happy to follow filesystem-level procedures.  (On a copy of the
>> checkout folder of course!)
>
> With bzr 2.5.1 I don't have error on unbind when master branch is
> gone away, but maybe you have something special in your case.
>
> You should be able to edit .bzr/branch/branch.conf and change
> option "bound" to False:
>
> bound = False
>
> (for heavyweight checkout it should be set to True).

If I followed the other thread, he doesn't actually have a
'heavyweight' checkout, but a lightweight one.

If I do:

 bzr branch bzr.dev test
 bzr co --lightweight test light
 bzr co test heavy
 rm -rf heavy

And then I do 'bzr info' in both of them:

 light $ bzr info
Dangling branch reference (format: 2a or pack-0.92)
Location:
   control directory: .
  checkout of branch: D:/dev/bzr/test

 heavy $ bzr info
Repository checkout (format: 2a)
Location:
  repository checkout root: .
        checkout of branch: D:/dev/bzr/test
         shared repository: D:/dev/bzr

Note that you only get 'Dangling branch reference' when you have a
lightweight checkout. (And you can't 'unbind' a lightweight checkout,
as there is no local branch.)

Is there anything in: /var/repos/project/trunk/
Such as /var/repos/project?

Or is that all the stuff that got deleted?

If you did have a heavyweight checkout, it wouldn't be hard to create
a new shared repository. However, from all accounts you don't have a
heavy (ie history-copying) checkout.