'branches' questions.

Bosco Rama bzr at boscorama.com
Wed Jul 25 00:38:33 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 07/24/12 16:52, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 04:27:43PM -0700, Bosco Rama wrote:
>> The first thing we noticed is that 'bzr branches repo' doesn't return
>> the top-level branches as we expected.  Maybe we misunderstand what the
>> command is meant to do.
> That's correct - 'bzr branches' lists the sibling branches of a
> control directory. The repo directory in your case doesn't have any
> sibling branches.

Ah.  There's the missing piece ...'sibling'.  The help text for the branches
command simply says:
   "List the branches available at the current location."

hence our confusion.

> There is no dedicated smart
> server command for recursively finding branches, so bzr is doing a lot
> of low-level operations over the SSH connection.
>
> I'm not sure if there is much you can do to improve this, other than
> implementing a custom HPSS command for 'bzr branches -R'.

*googles bzr hpss*

Ouch!  If this:
  <http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/SmartServer/RemoteObjectHacking>

is any indication of the level of knowledge required to add that sort of
functionality we may well have to live with it.  None of us are Python
folks and I'm doing the migration between 'fighting fires'.

> Another option of course is to simply run 'ssh remotehost bzr branches -R /path'.

Unfortunately we are using a single-user shared main-line with a slightly
tweaked bzr_ssh_path_limiter to allow restricted access to the repo.
Users aren't allowed such generalized access to the repo user (or the
repo home machine for that matter).

I still have to figure out how to stop a dev from simply doing an
'rmbranch' on a repo branch and ruining everybody's day too. :-(

Bosco.