bzr-svn version mismatch?

Max Bowsher _ at maxb.eu
Tue Jul 24 23:22:58 UTC 2012

On 24/07/12 15:06, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 03:42:02PM +0200, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
>>> FWIW it's the version of bzr-svn that would be relevant here, rather
>>> than the version of bzr itself.
>> /var/log/dpkg.log:2012-07-18 15:31:09 upgrade bzr-svn 1.0.2-2~bazaar2~hardy1 1.0.4+bzr3475-1~bazaar1~hardy1
> That'really old, too. :-(
>
>>> I would recommend upgrading your svn to at least svn 1.5, also because
>> tglase at tglase:~ $ svn --version | head -1
>> svn, version 1.6.15 (r1038135)
>> tglase at tglase:~ $ ssh -l root evolvis.org svn --version | head -1
>> svn, version 1.5.1 (r32289)
>>
>> My guess is a version detecting mismatch here, also because of…

>> This looks like it detects 1.6 and says it’s not 1.5.
>
> I admit the message is a bit confusing. The problem is that the
> subvertpy you're using was linked against svn 1.4 (or older), not 1.5
> or 1.6. So even though you locally have 1.6 (which is backwards
> compatible with 1.4) it didn't get to compile in support for the functionality
> that was added in svn 1.5.
>
>> Should I apply for membership in the bzr group (my Launchpad
>> User ID is mirabilos) and try to fix that myself and upload
>> a fixed package to the deprecated PPA?

It's not as simple as that. The ~bzr PPAs typically target being able to
be used on an otherwise stock Ubuntu system. With that in mind, there's
no place to obtain a Subversion >= 1.5 on hardy to link against.

There's a Subversion 1.5.1 in hardy-backports, but it would break
precedent to mandate that people enable the backports pocket to be able
to install bzr-svn on hardy from the ~bzr PPAs.

Likewise if we were to depend on any other Subversion in another PPA.

And it doesn't feel particularly logical for the ~bzr PPA to distribute
a version of the subversion package, either.

If hardy was less completely obsolete, I'd be inclined to try harder to
find a solution, but I'm unsure it merits the effort to do anything
about this for a LTS-minus-two release, that reached desktop EOL over a
year ago.

Max.