Migrating from SVN to DVCS.

Philip Peitsch philip.peitsch at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 02:01:27 UTC 2012

On 14 June 2012 08:46, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 09:46:14PM +1000, Philip Peitsch wrote:
> > I've been using bzr+svn at my company since late 2010 with a decent
> amount
> > of success. It works as advertised for inter-bazaar trading, and works
> > generally well for bzr-svn.
>
> > Some rather important bugs to watch for:
>
> >    - https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/485601
> >    - https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/887880
> >    - https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-svn/+bug/628354
>
> Note that these aren't relevant when just importing from Subversion
> into Bazaar; they are related to the metadata pushed by bzr-svn,
> they can only occur with repositories that you have pushed to with
> older versions of bzr-svn.

Daniel's questioning seems to be around allowing continued use of both
subversion (for those not willing to migrate) and bazaar in tandem on the
same trunk? *If* my assumption is correct, then his workflow does fall into
the same area of risk that mine has here.

The largest challenge is that to correctly "fix" the svn repo & process
after one of these listed defects occur, one needs to:

   1. Get all developers with access to the branch (~30 in two large
   buildings) to uninstall Bazaar
   2. Reset all svn revprops related to Bazaar
   3. Get all developers to remove the bzr-svn cache and all local bazaar
   repositories that have ever contained the corrupted svn repository, or
   bazaar branches directly related to these (basically, devs should remove
   all local repositories...)
   4. Get all developers to install the latest version of bazaar
   5. Rebranch / re-setup all repositories

It basically requires freezing a full development team for 2 working days
to enact fully (doing a checkout of our current trunk takes 3-4hrs I
believe).  And, if any developer misses even one of their required cleanup
steps, the whole subversion repository becomes unusuable again as soon as
they accidentally commit, due to
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-svn/+bug/628354.

The other challenge is that all troubleshooting steps generally turn the
shared repository into a read-only system for several hours (e.g., bzr
check & reconcile).

To restate though, we are happily using Bazaar in a specific workflow. The
listed issues are more to highlight the style of problems that have
occurred in the past and *may* still be in the system.

--
Philip Peitsch
Mob: 0439 810 260