[Fwd: Re: best way to add unknowns from the command line?]

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Sat Mar 31 19:43:21 UTC 2012

SOrry, forgot to hit reply-all.

-------- Исходное сообщение --------
Тема: Re: best way to add unknowns from the command line?
Дата: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 22:42:58 +0300
От: Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net>
Кому: Chris Hecker <checker at d6.com>
Ссылки: <4F6A435E.1010706 at d6.com> <4F6AD5D0.8030103 at ukr.net>
<m21uoljaf3.fsf at canonical.com> <4F6AF394.4080009 at ukr.net>
<4F6AF7D9.9040309 at arbash-meinel.com> <4F6D61A1.8050105 at d6.com>
<4F70266A.4020000 at ukr.net>
<b73f88c7-3096-4171-b455-fd379a7b8893 at email.android.com>

Chris Hecker пишет:
> I only have a few entries in unknowns, but that's because st/unknowns do
> it the scalable way, and don't recurse. One of the entries is "docs/"
> which has 2gb of binary data like images and videos, and another is
> "libs/test/" which has probabaly 10 library source trees in subdirs that
> I'm evaluating.

2gb of binary data does not matter. Only number of files matters.
You have a lot of files and subdirectories, obviously. You could
selectively ignore content of some directories, e.g.

libs/test/foo/*
libs/test/bar/*

to help qadd, but I understand that this is not solution you want,
just poor workaround.

qadd runs `bzr add` with `--no-recurse` options behind the scene to
make sure that we will add only those files user selected in GUI. So
we don't blindly add the whole directories, because we have no
guarantee that list of files does not changed between the time qadd
was invoked and OK button is pressed. Therefore qadd has to recurse
and collect the entire list of unknown files.

One can imagine that there is other smart way to do the right thing,
but so far you're the first person who complains. That does not matter
that current behavior cannot be improved, but somebody should actually
write a patch for it.

--
All the dude wanted was his rug back

--