Release testing and the relationship between 'bzr selftest' and plugins

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sun Mar 18 03:01:55 UTC 2012

Am 17/03/12 17:11, schrieb Vincent Ladeuil:
>     > Am 16/03/12 17:11, schrieb Vincent Ladeuil:
>     >>
>     >> >> The osx installer (and the windows installer too AFAIK) has a script to
>     >> >> download from a branch (tip) or a tag or a revid, so it's just a matter
>     >> >> of providing either a branch (during betas) or a tag for stable
>     >> >> releases.
>     >> > We still had out of date plugins in the installer, though.
>     >>
>     >> Yeah, the process is still not polished enough :-/
>     >>
>     >> Ideally, at least osx and windows, should share their scripts (or
>     >> release definitions) so we can update it in a single place.
>     >>
>     >> More and people are submitting merge proposals just for bumping which
>     >> version of a plugin should be packaged.
>
>     >> I think that's the good trend and we should probably help it becoming
>     >> the official way to get packaged.
>
>     > Do you mean that plugin authors should submit updates to the
>     > installers?
>
> Wouldn't that be a perfect testbed for nested trees ?
That's an interesting though. It does seem like nested trees would be a
sensible alternative for e.g. buildouts like we are using at the moment.

> Each one of us can have its own bzr with its own set of plugins as
> nested trees, all different but being able to be merged from one
> another...
>
> Just a thought...
I'm not sure I follow; do you mean having the plugins all as nested
trees in bzr.dev ?
>     > I've updated the versions of bzr-svn/bzr-git in the installers a
>     > couple of times, but I would really rather stay away from this. It
>     > takes time (and releasing already takes up enough time) and I
>     > don't have the environment to test my changes in.
>
> Yeah, *you* (as every plugin author) cannot test enough (even under you
> shower ;) but you *can* say: hey, I've tested this and that's what I'd
> like to be packaged, can somebody out there give it a go ?
What do you mean by "say" exactly? I'm more than happy to announce
plugin releases more vocally, but I'd really rather stay away from
updating the windows and mac installer branches.

Cheers,

Jelmer