Release testing and the relationship between 'bzr selftest' and plugins

Vincent Ladeuil vila+bzr at canonical.com
Fri Mar 16 16:40:15 UTC 2012

    >> > My Mac took 38 minutes to run `bzr selftest --parallel=fork
    >> > --no-plugins`.
    >>
    >> Not bad, any better with a ramdisk ? You can also try to raise the
    >> concurrency with export BZR_CONCURRENCY=8 (That's what the babune's osx
    >> slave is doing even with a dual-core).
    >>

    > 31 minutes with a ramdisk. I'll try the concurrency thing.

    >> Also, be aware that --no-plugins also disable the core plugins, if that
    >> leads to test failures, that's bad and should be fixed though.
    >>

    > I tried without --no-plugins and python "quit unexpectedly".

Rings a bell...

Does 'BZR_DISABLE_PLUGINS=gtk bzr selftest...' helps ?

If not, grepping for osx ? I kind of remember adding a comment
explaining a related behavior but I can't find it anymore :-/

    > I'm trying it again without the --parallel option which seems to
    > be "working". ~450 failures though after 36 minutes and it's only
    > halfway through the tests.

Oh noes, don't tell me we have a socket/file handle leak *again*, the
symptom in this case is... something related to not being able to open a
file, often a log file IIRC.

      Vincent