Release testing and the relationship between 'bzr selftest' and plugins

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Fri Mar 16 11:51:55 UTC 2012

Am 16/03/12 10:55, schrieb Vincent Ladeuil:
> Still on this subject but from a slightly different pov, you maintain a
> set of recipes to build bzr and various plugins in the daily PPA.
>
> Since they all run the tests can you give some feedback about:
>
> - whether this is a good way to catch regressions,
I don't think it is. The plugins are only built when their tip changes,
so we usually don't notice breakage until somebody is also changing the
plugin (in which case they run the testsuite anyway).

The other problem with it is that you get a single plain text file for
each plugin, with all build and test output. That makes it a bit awkward
to navigate the failures and to figure out what they are.

We used to run with --one, but that no longer appears to be the case.
> - what kind of errors do you encounter and fix from them,
Most of the errors I encounter are due to:

 * Problems with the packaging (missing dependency, et
 * Bugs related to environment (the version of a dependency in precise
has removed a particular attribute, something only works on a particular
platform)
* *Some* are due to breakage with bzr.dev,

> - how you proceed to filter out and extract the significant bits from
>   the lp mails.
I don't :-) I regularly go to
http://people.canonical.com/~jelmer/recipe-status/bzr.html
<http://people.canonical.com/%7Ejelmer/recipe-status/bzr.html> and fix