Deploying with Bazaar (or how a big repo can make you crazy)

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 00:21:19 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Martin Packman
<martin.packman at canonical.com> wrote:
>> Why does bzr uses so much memory do to a simple branch, and is
>> --stacked the best way to do source deployment?
>
> So, the question that hasn't been answered is where the memory during
> branching is actually being used. I made a few guesses at the time,
> but getting a real answer is where a tool like meliae comes in, which
> dumps the contents of memory when python hits an OOM. Unfortunately
> that's little difficult to use from your end as the reaper beats
> python to the scythe and there's a lot of resultant data to process to
> get useful answers.

Well it doesn't need to hit the oom. Someone that know the code base
could (simply I think) instrument the loop that fetches the data to
stop when loading 400 mb from the repo or some other number that is
being iterated during fetch (like revisions?) and then just take a
look at what is using what. Python 2.7 has a gc command to size
objects and on freebsd/mac osx theres dtrace to look at memory usage
and is not hard at all. I don't think it is a ton of small leaks it's
probably some structure going completely out of control on size (or a
huge memory leak). The hard part will be fixing it :)

--

Leonardo Santagada