[ANN] bzr 2.5b6 released

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Mon Feb 13 14:24:13 UTC 2012

Gordon Tyler <gordon.tyler at gmail.com> writes:

> [...]
[…]

> > And yet it's not ready for such use, as you say. Can you resolve the
> > contradiction? How can it be both ready for release and not ready
> > for release?
>
> Ready for beta but not final release.

Ah, thank you.

Once again, the wording “released” in the announcement has misled me. I
think it's likely I'm not alone.

I'm reminded of a running joke in Ocean's Thirteen:

    Rusty: When's opening night?

    Danny: July third.

    Saul: We're going in now? It's already open.

    Danny: It's a soft opening, to test the place before the grand opening.

    Rusty: It's kind of like an out-of-town preview, only it's in town.

    Saul: Soft opening, grand opening. When they opened the Flamingo,
        one day it was closed, the next day it was open. End of story.

The confusion would be much less if these test Bazaar 2.5 availabilities
*leading to* the release were not referred to as “release”.

And it's certainly easy to change the terminology to be less misleading
(“available” is accurate and clear).

--
 \     “For man, as for flower and beast and bird, the supreme triumph |
  `\       is to be most vividly, most perfectly alive” —D.H. Lawrence |