Conflict resolution using Emacs

Barry Warsaw barry at canonical.com
Mon Jan 30 16:27:07 UTC 2012

On Jan 27, 2012, at 12:11 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>There's also an `SMerge' menu.  As for the key-bindings, they're indeed
>rather inconvenient.  I personally (setq smerge-command-prefix "\e") so
>I can use M-n, M-p, M-RET instead of C-x ^ n, C-x ^ p, ...
>Also I recommend you use "bzr merge/pull/update --show-base" so your
>conflict markers include the ancestor information, which can be
>tremendously helpful in resolving conflicts.

Thanks for the tip!

>> I have noticed though that smerge-mode doesn't work well with Mercurial, but
>> who cares about that? :)
>
>Assuming Mercurial can generate standard conflict markers (which sadly
>is anything but obvious: it seems like conflict markers are one of
>those things for which every VCS likes to redefine its own format), it
>should be easy to fix, so please M-x report-emacs-bug.

I think that's the problem; Mercurial doesn't generate conflict markers that
smerge understands.  I haven't tried recently to see if any updates to either
Emacs or Mercurial fixes this, or whether it's customizable.  Next time I have
to deal with a conflict in the Python hg tree, I may take a deeper look.

Cheers,
-Barry