Conflict resolution using Emacs

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 20:53:39 UTC 2012

Hi folks!
Can anybody share wisdom with me regarding the use of Emacs to resolve
conflicts created by a merge?

Currently, my workflow looks like this:

$ bzr merge <somebranch>
(notice a conflict in file.c, switch to Emacs)

M-x ediff-merge-with-ancestor
file.c.THIS
file.c.OTHER
file.c.BASE
(review, edit, resolve conflicts, lather, rinse, repeat)
C-x C-s file.c y
(deal with the fact that I may already have had file.c opened in some
other buffer)

It seems to me that there should be some sort of M-x
resolve-bzr-conflicts command I could invoke while visiting file.c and
that I shouldn't have to deal with typing in file.c.THIS,
file.c.OTHER, file.c.BASE, and then to have to type the filename in
yet again when saving the merged result.

OK, call me lazy... but that's why I became a computer programmer...
the computer should be doing all of that typing for me.

I can go off and write my own Emacs resolve-bzr-conflicts macro to do
all that typing for me, but whenever I try to do something like that I
end up learning that somebody else has already done it (and has done a
considerably better job than I did).  So I thought I'd try asking
first this time.

Any thoughts?

--wpd