Call for testing of colocated branch support in bzr.dev

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Jan 20 06:08:44 UTC 2012

Gordon Tyler writes:
 > On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Aaron Bentley <aaron at aaronbentley.com>wrote:
 >
 > > On 12-01-19 05:11 PM, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
 > > > What does the rest of the list think? Do you prefer:
 > > >
 > > > bzr tag foo -r454 bzr tag --delete foo bzr branch foo bar bzr
 > > > branch --delete foo
 > > >
 > > > or:
 > > >
 > > > bzr tag foo -r454 bzr rmtag foo bzr branch foo bar bzr rmbranch
 > > > foo
 > >
 > > I prefer the latter.  I prefer different commands for
 > > conceptually-different operations.
 > >

 > Agreed. The command tells you *what* it does, the options modify *how* it
 > does it.

One thing I don't like about bazaar is having to read the whole list
of "bzr help commands" (wc says 109 lines in bzr 2.4.2) to find an
infrequently used command to manipulate a commonly used object.

Specifically, in the tag and branch examples, I would expect that in
most workflows "rmtag" and "rmbranch" are infrequently used, they are
very easy to describe (would take up only one line in "bzr help tag"),
trivial to understand, and would be far more discoverable in "bzr help
tag" than in "bzr help what was that command again?"  Again, while
people with a *nix background shouldn't have too much trouble guessing
"RMtag" and "RMbranch", they may not be intuitive to Windows or even
Mac users, especially non-technical types used to graphical file
managers.  (True, they'll normally be using a graphical front end to
bzr, too, but not always, and it's that "not always" case that I'm
suggesting you consider here.)