Wrong permissions when creating branch in shared directory

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Thu Dec 8 04:11:55 UTC 2011

On 8 December 2011 03:40, Luis Arias <kaaloo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a /bzr directory on our build machine where the devs check in
> their work through bzr+ssh.  It works great except when someone
> creates a new branch, then it doesn't have the right group permissions
> and I have to regularly run this in the /bzr directory:
>
> sudo chmod -R g+rw,o-rwx .
> sudo find . -type d | sudo xargs chmod g+s
>
> I imagine this has something to do with the umask setting on each
> developer's home right ?  If someone knows what the workaround is I
> would love to set it up for us!
>
> In case its useful, permissions in /bzr look like this for each project.
>
> drwxrws---  3 luis  devs 4096 2011-12-01 14:11 memcached-extras
> drwxrws---  4 root  devs 4096 2011-05-26 13:28 tomcat-extras
>
> Thanks for your help!

Hi Luis,

I think you need to use pam_umask to set the umask under ssh
<http://serverfault.com/q/228396/44697> - it's kinda complicated.

I thought there was a bug asking for a direct way to set this in bzr,
but I only see <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/50568> which is
about the specific different case of sftp.  If you can't find one, you
could file.

hth,
--
Martin