Hang at commit time when using sftp or bzr+ssh

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Dec 7 19:21:17 UTC 2011

On 8 December 2011 02:39, Stephen AuYeung <stephen at ck12.org> wrote:
> Martin,
>

> Did you mean ControlMaster auto? If so, I commented them out in my
> ~/.ssh/config file and the hang did not happen afterward. Thanks for
> locating and fixing this issue.

Yes, that's what I meant.  The way this feature is defined in openssh
(that the self-appointed master never exits) is a bit inconvenient for
programmatic use.

> However, I still see 9 left over ssh processes after my test. Is this an
> expected behavior? If so, will the number of ssh processes keep increasing?
> This could potentially be a problem for us because we will have a process
> running continuously handling all bzr operations.

If you keep opening new ssh transports you will get new ssh
subprocesses, and if you don't, you won't.  You should either have a
bounded number of transports and reuse them, or call .disconnect when
you're done with them.

--
Martin