join and history preservation

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Thu Nov 17 13:17:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 4:33 AM, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> > But I don't see how to access this history if it's there.  In
> > particular, running 'bzr log <file>' on any file in X/Y errors with
> > something like:   "bzr: ERROR: Path unknown at end or start of
> > revision range: X/Y/foo.txt".  Also I can't revert files within Y.
> Did you commit the join ? That's the only thing I can think of that
> explains the behaviour you're seeing.

To add, the expected behavior right after the join is finishged (committed)
is that bzr log <file-in-Y> will show you exactly one log event, which
was the merge/join revision, and then the line
"Use --include-merges or -n0 to see merged revisions"

and bzr status will show you:
unknown:
  Y/.bzr.retired.0/

which are the leftover bits no longer needed from when Y was a
branch. whereas if you haven't committed the merge, well... you'll see that.

when I tried my first experiment on this it was not obvious at first that
"join" prepares a merge, but does not magically commit it for you :)
I don't know why I thought it would do this, but I did...