Out of Memory a bridge too far

Liam Routt liam.routt at mediasaints.com
Sat Nov 12 13:22:44 UTC 2011

Personally, the place I'd start (if I had time to work on it) would be
in trying to change the way the data is loaded in the first place, so
that there doesn't need to be enough memory available to load all of any
pack file at one time. That would be a fundamental change which needn't
be focused on any particular type of versioned file at all.

Really, bzr shouldn't need all the memory that 64-bit python can let you
access in order to deal with these files - it should be able to do it in
a predictable, almost constant, amount of memory, if the file access was
designed with that in mind. At the very least I would have thought that
if your files could each individually be loaded into memory you should
not have a problem, but that is definitely not the case (because of the
way changes are packed, I believe).

Take care,

Liam