combining 2 projects under one repository

Colin D Bennett colin at gibibit.com
Thu Nov 3 19:09:20 UTC 2011

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 11:36:33 +1100
Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com> wrote:

> On 3 November 2011 10:40, Matt Funk <matze999 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > right now i have 2 repositories that do not share code but are
> > related in terms their fcn. Both are under bazaar. I would like
> > to combine those 2 under one repository. I guess i could create
> > a new repository but i would like to avoid that.
> > Is there some sort of tool that does this easily?
> > thanks for any advice
>
> It depends a bit what you mean by 'in one repository' but I'm
> guessing you mean you want just one tree with all the code in
> it.  One easy way to accomplish that is 'bzr merge
> -r0.. ../OTHER_TREE'.

This “cherrypick” merge will completely discard the history of the
imported project, right?

Is there any way to import that project's revisions?  I guess they
can't be _exactly_ imported because the file paths will be different
than in the original, but at least the content, timestamp (?), log
messages, renames, adds, removes, etc. could be tracked if these
changes were really imported in a complete way.

I recall hearing about “bzr join”, but after reading the
documentation on it, I am thoroughly lost as to its utility in
cases like Matt's (importing one branch into another unrelated
branch).  I do not understand the concept of “rich-root” and
“subtree”.

Regards,
Colin