Bazaar Mercurial Plugin to access BitBucket

Barry Warsaw barry at canonical.com
Tue Oct 25 14:46:14 UTC 2011

On Oct 25, 2011, at 10:33 AM, Martin Geisler wrote:

>Maybe that's an important point: Mercurial lets you co-locate your
>(named or unnamed) branches into a single repository. But you can also
>split such a repository again. Standing in a clone of CPython, I can do:
>
>  $ hg clone --branch 3.2 . ../cpython-3.2
>
>to get a clone with the 3.2 branch. The tip of 3.2 will be checked out
>and 'hg update' will now stay on that branch. The 3.1 branch is present
>in the clone since it is part of the history of 3.2, but 2.7 is absent.

That's interesting.  It's different than how I normally create my separate
clones which IIRC was something like

    $ hg clone cpython hg32
    $ cd hg32
    $ hg up 3.2

I think if disk space isn't a concern, it's not much of a practical
difference, except perhaps if I accidentally tried to switch to the 2.7 branch
in my 3.2 clone (which I'd assume would fail).

>Definitely! The mercurial at selenic.com list is more suited for this
>unless we can compare with an equivalent Bazaar workflow to make it
>relevant for this list.

True.  Apologies for the detour.

-Barry