Proper tracking of file-level operations: rename, directories, merges

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Tue Oct 25 04:50:12 UTC 2011

John Yates <john.yates at us.ibm.com> writes:

> Further, if you insist on going down the path that a delete plus an
> add is not equivalent to a rename

(Please don't top-post replies.)

I'm saying that it erases a distinction which the VCS already has enough
information to maintain, if the design were to allow it. Both Bazaar and
Mercurial can be told “move foo to bar”, but only Mercurial's design
ignores the meaning of that instruction.

> then what is to prevent me from arguing that in the context of an edit
> a delete at one position and an insert at another fails to capture the
> fact that I think of my edit as a move operation?

You are free to argue that, AFAICT.

--
 \     Rommel: “Don't move, or I'll turn the key on this can of Spam!” |
  `\                               —The Goon Show, _Rommel's Treasure_ |