Proper tracking of file-level operations: rename, directories, merges

Liam Routt liam.routt at mediasaints.com
Mon Oct 24 23:47:52 UTC 2011

Caveat: I have not been following this discussion closely.

On 25/10/2011 1:09 AM, Martin Geisler wrote:
> I've asked you many times, but you have failed to demonstrate why it is
> important to maintain the distinction. Please don't ignore this -- show
> a situation where Mercurial fails to merge the same nice way as Bazaar
> does because Mercurial "only" has a copy+delete to work with.

How do the two VCS handle situations where you attempt to rename a
directory which has some contents which are not in version control.

I *assume* that bzr would rename the directory, effectively moving the
non-VC files in the process.

I *assume* (but have very little experience with Mercurial) that
Mercurial would either create a new directory and copy only the VC files
into it. Or would delete the old directory and create a new one with the
files it knows about.

Assuming I'm right about those behaviors (and I don't know that), I'd
want the bzr behavior on my projects (even if Hg didn't delete a
non-empty directory, which I suspect is the case). Hg might be right for
the files under version control, but my work environment and those of my
team members often includes other files which are not being tracked by
the VCS for various reasons.

Take care,

Liam Routt