Proper tracking of file-level operations: rename, directories, merges

John Yates john.yates at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 24 14:39:48 UTC 2011

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> No, you can say "bzr mv --after foo bar", to correct that mistake
> after the fact.

It is not that I occasionally forget to use "bzr mv" in lieu of simple mv.
 No, I philosophically do not believe this is the proper user experience.
It reveals a fundamentally command-line-centric design in which users are
expected to keep in mind at all time that they are using a version control
system and therefore to modify their behavior appropriately.  From that
perspective "bzr mv --after" is an even more egregious UI mistake.

"bzr mv" and "bzr mv --after" work only if one performs one's own renames
at the command-line.  Use an IDE or similar tool and bzr gets reduced to
inferring renames.  So whether one's version control tool can be
encouraged to infer renames prior to commit and to actually record those
renames or instead simply infers them after the fact (a la git) seems a
difference without a distinction.

Don't get me wrong.  I am a bzr fan and booster.  I simply have never
accepted that the explicit recording of renames is an important virtue.
More importantly it has lead to a more complex semantic model (named
containers with contents) compared to git (named blobs).

/john