Proper tracking of file-level operations: rename, directories, merges (was: Bazaar Mercurial Plugin to access BitBucket)

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Thu Oct 20 22:39:26 UTC 2011

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> writes:

> Well, I don't know what Ben meant by "correct rename tracking", but
> Mark Shuttleworth always brags about Bazaar "correctly" tracking
> directories, as well as files, as versionable objects.

Yes. I consider all the file entries – symlinks, directories, regular
files – in my project to be items worth tracking and reproducing as
first-class citizens in the VCS.

Mercurial and Git, by deciding on my behalf that some of those are not
worth tracking, serve me poorly as a result. Bazaar serves me better
because it tracks those objects correctly.

--
 \          “Our products just aren't engineered for security.” —Brian |
  `\             Valentine, senior vice-president of Microsoft Windows |