Help with strange bzr connection hangs

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Tue Oct 4 17:52:57 UTC 2011

> From: Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com>
> Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 12:16:18 +1100
> Cc: bazaar at lists.canonical.com
>
> I don't know, based on that, what it would be, but the general kind of
> thing I would try to find out next in this type of situation is just
> what is going on when it is hanging: what is bzr doing, what is the
> external ssh transport (if any) doing, and what is the OS tcp socket
> doing?

It looks like bzr is waiting forever in `select'.  Here's the stack of
one of the two threads shown by Process Explorer:

  ntoskrnl.exe!ExReleaseResourceLite+0x2be
  ntoskrnl.exe!IoPageRead+0xc50
  ntoskrnl.exe!IoGetBaseFileSystemDeviceObject+0x730
  ntoskrnl.exe!NtWaitForSingleObject+0x94
  ntoskrnl.exe!KiDeliverApc+0xbbb
  ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
  MSWSOCK.dll+0x5fa7
  WS2_32.dll!select+0xa7
  _socket.pyd!init_socket+0x1c6e

I have no idea what that means.  Why would it wait forever? aren't
there timeouts? am I looking at some deadlock in the kernel?

>  * pop into the bzr debugger with ctrl-break and then get a backtrace
> (type 'bt')

Ctrl-Break doesn't seem to be able to interrupt bzr in this state,
probably because it is stuck inside a system call.

>  * is there a windows equivalent to 'netstat -ponet' that shows the
> socket state?

The socket state is ESTABLISHED, if this is what you wanted to know.