bzr-tiplog in a local branch

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Thu Sep 29 20:15:01 UTC 2011

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-tiplog/+bug/862731

> > WIBNI "bzr tiplog" could support the --line, --short, and --long
> > options of "bzr log"?  Or at least provide --line, to show just the
> > 1st line of the log?
>
> Tiplog doesn't use the log formatter.  The person shown isn't the committer, but the perpetrator who caused the action on the branch.
>
> (Tiplog *does* show the first line of the log message, and so should be very close to --line.)

Showing the first line, and only the first line, should be a good start.

> On 29-Sep-2011, at 2:36 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > I don't really know what to expect, because the plugin comes with very
> > little documentation.
>
> Contributions always appreciated :)

I would love to, but I need to understand the beast before I can
describe it ;-)

> > On the parent of that branch, I see this:
> >
> >  09/29/11 tip:0 105959 eliz at gnu.org [pull] Fix bug #9607 with vertical motion ...
> >  09/29/11 tip:1 105958 eliz at gnu.org [pull] Fix ChangeLog entry for the last co...
> >  09/29/11 tip:2 105956 eliz at gnu.org [pull] In display-buffer-record-window cal...
> >  09/29/11 tip:3 105954 eliz at gnu.org [pull] * lisp/pcmpl-cvs.el (pcomplete/cvs)...
> >
> > This is a bound branch, and tip:0 and tip:1 were committed by me.  So
> > why they are shown as "[pull]" and not "[commit]" or "[push]"?
>
> The action shown ('push', 'pull', 'commit', 'uncommit', 'init'; or 'server' for actions seen on the smart server) corresponds to the *action* performed to bring in that revision tip.  It comes from the corresponding bzr hook which *generally* corresponds to the bzr command.  If this was a bound branch, I guess bzr's underlying implementation does a pull *from* the bound branch into the bound-to branch rather than a push.  Or at least it's firing a post_pull hook.

It would be good to have tiplog show something closer to what the user
typed.  The user shouldn't have to understand all the intricacies of
bzr operation to interpret the tiplog.

> > And
> > why don't I see this revision, which was also my commit (after merging
> > from the local branch whose tiplog I've shown before):
> >
> >  105957: Eli Zaretskii 2011-09-29 [merge] Fix the MSDOS build due to recent c...
> >
> > I guess I'm trying to match the status shown in brackets with what I
> > did when the corresponding revision appeared on my branch, and create
> > some mental model of what will the tiplog show me and what it won't.
>
> Was 105957 perhaps made with 'commit --local'?

No.  It was a merge from a local branch to a bound branch, followed by
a commit from the bound branch to its (remote) parent.