bzr-tiplog in a local branch

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Thu Sep 29 18:36:44 UTC 2011

> Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 20:05:40 +0200
> From: John Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com>
> Cc: bazaar at lists.canonical.com, Brian de Alwis <briandealwis at gmail.com>
>
> Tiplog is showing you what tips the branch used to have, and mapping them to
> their current dotted revnos.
>
> 1) You did an action which changed the tip (merge --pull). Tiplog currently
> always treats the first action as init.
> 2) you then did commit which gave it a new tip rev
> 3) you did that again
> 4) you did another action which changed the tip again (merge --pull). Which
> also happened to change the mainline and revision numbers.
>
> I'm not sure what you were expecting. But consider tiplog as an audit
> history of the contents if .bzr/branch/last-revision

Thanks for the explanations.  They help.

I don't really know what to expect, because the plugin comes with very
little documentation.  On the parent of that branch, I see this:

  09/29/11 tip:0 105959 eliz at gnu.org [pull] Fix bug #9607 with vertical motion ...
  09/29/11 tip:1 105958 eliz at gnu.org [pull] Fix ChangeLog entry for the last co...
  09/29/11 tip:2 105956 eliz at gnu.org [pull] In display-buffer-record-window cal...
  09/29/11 tip:3 105954 eliz at gnu.org [pull] * lisp/pcmpl-cvs.el (pcomplete/cvs)...

This is a bound branch, and tip:0 and tip:1 were committed by me.  So
why they are shown as "[pull]" and not "[commit]" or "[push]"?  And
why don't I see this revision, which was also my commit (after merging
from the local branch whose tiplog I've shown before):

  105957: Eli Zaretskii 2011-09-29 [merge] Fix the MSDOS build due to recent c...

I guess I'm trying to match the status shown in brackets with what I
did when the corresponding revision appeared on my branch, and create
some mental model of what will the tiplog show me and what it won't.
Sorry if I'm too dumb this evening.