Considering moving all Launchpad branches to 2a - based formats

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Sep 14 08:34:27 UTC 2011

On 14 September 2011 00:58, Aaron Bentley <aaron at aaronbentley.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm investigating the possibility of doing a mass upgrade of all
> Launchpad branches into up-to-date formats.  Thereafter, we would
> either forbid old formats to be uploaded, or automatically upgrade them.

Hi,

I'm enormously glad you're looking in to this: it will speed things
up, remove a support burden, and just be a lot tidier.

> What are the next steps?
> Examine Launchpad's current inventory of branches, determine whether
> there are major active branches on Launchpad in stale formats, and if
> so, why.

.... I guess after that we need some announcement that it will happen,
and possibly to contact people who are using old clients.

I think that you may be able to look at the xmlrpc access logs for
user-agents to see how many old clients are out there.

Martin