Dulwich C extensions and stand-alone Windows installation of bzr

Andrew Bennetts andrew at bemusement.org
Mon Sep 12 06:48:17 UTC 2011

I'm no expert in Dulwich-related matters, but hopefully this is more
helpful than not:

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 02:08:07AM -0400, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com>
[…]
> > What actually goes wrong when you try to make a DLL in the 'normal'
> > way?
>
> I didn't try because I don't know how to do that in this specific
> case: what compiler switches to use, which libraries to link against,
> and (last, but not least) where to place the resulting DLL.  There
> isn't a word about that in the dulwich distro, only a Makefile where I
> found that it invokes setup.py, which in turn invokes some magic in a
> Python module I don't have (distutils).

Distutils is part of the Python standard library.  If you don't have
distutils then it's highly unlikely you have Python.h, which I'm sure
Dulwich needs.  i.e. a standard Python installation is a build
dependency, if you want to think of it in those terms.

[…]
> > Are you speaking of building Python extensions, or other DLLs?
>
> Just the C extensions supplied with dulwich, nothing else.

To the best of my knowledge, those C extensions *are* Python extensions
— that's the point of Dulwich.  Certainly a quick glance at the source
suggests all the *.c files directly require Python.h.

-Andrew.