Dulwich C extensions and stand-alone Windows installation of bzr

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Fri Sep 9 10:25:19 UTC 2011

Eli Zaretskii пишет:
>> Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 13:09:40 +0300
>> From: Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net>
>> CC: Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu.org>, Bazaar <bazaar at lists.canonical.com>
>>
>> Martin Pool пишет:
>>> I hope we don't get into a "what is reasonable" debate, because there
>>> are a lot of things about Windows development that are not reasonable,
>>> and also not under our control.
>>>
>>> I believe the technical facts are:
>>>
>>>  * you can't use cygwin or mingw gcc to build extensions for a Python
>>> built with msvc
>> I don't think it's true. At least for Python 2.5 it was possible to
>> build python c-extensions with mingw.
>
> I'm not surprised.  AFAIK, MinGW is fully compatible with MSVC in this
> regard, if not by default, then with the -mms-bitfields command-line
> option.

I recall that for some specific purpose python c-extensions should be
linked against exactly the same C run-time dll as Python itself. So that
mingw I was talking about has the option in the installer to be
compatible either with Python 2.3 (MSVC 6.0 + msvcrt.dll)  or with
Python 2.4-2.5 (MSVC 2003 + msvcr71.dll). Python 2.6-2.7 are built with
MSVC 2008 IIRC, so another version of run-time library should be used
(msvcr90.dll IIRC).