revids that include periods are interpreted as ranges

Colin D Bennett colin at gibibit.com
Mon Aug 29 17:39:25 UTC 2011

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 13:19:20 -0400
Robin Luckey <rluckey at blackducksoftware.com> wrote:

> I have found several Bzr repositories with revids that include the
> substring '..' within them. Although these are single revids, bzr
> interprets them as revid *ranges*, and thus they cannot be passed as
> parameters to the bzr command line tools.

Also consider the possibility of a tag containing the string “..”.
Although I agree that in practice, tags generally would not contain
this string.  It would be nice if there were some way to be extra
explicit, such as adding new
--first-rev=PURE_REV and --last-rev=PURE_REV options in addition to the
parsed --revision=REVISIONSPEC_OR_POSSIBLY_A_RANGE option.  The
PURE_REV values would be handled verbatim and not parsed as possible
ranges.  This would be a simple and complete solution that could be
used especially for scripts, where a user is not able to observe and
handle to rare chance that the “..” occurs in a revision range.

Regards,
Colin