Latex project with parent-child files

Colin D Bennett colin at gibibit.com
Wed Aug 10 23:41:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 16:27:49 +0100
Russel Winder <russel at russel.org.uk> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 04:02 -0700, spinner wrote:
> > Bazaar needs this folder structure to keep chapters as separate
> > versioning projects: /wrap/trunk/wrapfile.tex /chap1/trunk/chap1.tex
>
> I don't understand the need to separately version chapters.

Perhaps the desire is to be able to follow the evolution of a
specific chapter more easily, without getting entangled by other
chapters' changes?  That's the only thing that comes to mind for me.

Even in that case, you could put all chapters in one Bazaar branch
(versioning the entire dissertation as a single entity), and then do
'bzr log chap1' or 'bzr qlog chap1' etc. to see the log of a specific
chapter.

For one thing, keeping the entire document in one Bazaar branch means
you can uniquely identify a version of the document with the Bazaar
revno or revid.  This makes backups and release management easier.

Regards,
Colin